Mobilization Day 2: Released From Hospital, St. Patrick’s Day.

Well, that was an interesting night’s sleep, to say the least. The Ambien really got me into a good deep sleep, but the nurse would still have to drop by to check on me every once in a while, which was funny, because I was so out of it, I don’t really recall what she did when she came by. I do remember crawling around on the floor looking for a pill I dropped, and at one point, I woke up to a needle going into my other arm (the one without the IV) and they were taking blood. When I woke in the morning, I thought it was all a dream, but the bandage on my arm didn’t lie!


I was a little nauseous when I woke up, but luckily enough time had passed since my last shot, so the nurse was able to fix me up for the next 8 hours and the nausea went right away.


I ordered breakfast and started the long boring waiting game until I could be released. They want you to be in 24 hours from when you start your pre-med IV (an hour before chemo), to make sure you are good and hydrated before you leave, and that you have peed all the chemo out of your bladder. With the diuretics they give you, it’s a nonstop trip to the bathroom and I filled urinal after urinal. I was pretty proud of myself when the nurse walked in and I had both urinal jugs filled to the rim in under an hour! 🙂

Dr. Burt and his staff came by for a bit and checked my vitals, and his assistant Allison gave me the run down of what my schedule would look like for the next few weeks.

After that, it was a long, long afternoon of watching my last two IV bags drip to nothing.  At about 3:00 pm, the nurse came in and told me I could go! 31 hours after checking in, I am free!


Upon release, I immediately met up with Liz and my daughter Olivia, and went walking around.  All I wanted to do was walk. When you’re used to riding a bike 100 to 200 miles a week, and running on a regular basis, sitting in a bed for over a day can drive a man insane!  I feel like this will be a big trial for me as the hospital time increases.





Anyway, we walked to a pretty park by Lake Michigan, so Olivia could swing and slide, and also to Water Tower Plaza mall.  After dinner, I went to the hotel gym and hit the elliptical machine for an hour and did 6.75 miles. Would have gone for the whole 7, but it cut me off at the hour mark! I have seven days until my immune system drops, so I gotta enjoy the stamina I have worked so hard to build upon finding out I had MS in the first place. I still got a little nauseous right about the eight-hour mark from my last anti-nausea med, but took a pill and it worked like a charm.

I’m holding to my strategy of staying positive, and I’m feeling the luck of the Irish in me, and not like a victim.  The truth is, this is going to suck…bad, but I’m so lucky I was selected to have this opportunity to beat MS, so when all is said and done, I have my amazing wife, my daughter, and my son that is just a few months from being born, then it’s all worth it, and I’m so pumped to be here! Today will always be a St. Patrick’s Day to remember!


Posted from WordPress for Android


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s